Have you ever been excited about something where it ends up taking over your dreams? This happens to me all the time, but I didn’t expect it to happen with this…
Dr. Kathy Rabago from PianoProgram.com has created Music Theory Courses for students. These courses are the very definition of flipped learning and something that I have been wanting to find for a while. Students learn the music theory concepts at home or during their music lab time, reinforce the concepts through worksheets (provided), and return to their lessons with an increased knowledge of music theory.
Currently, there are 6 levels available with 6 more levels to be added. Level 7 will be added by the end of 2017. With levels 8-12 to follow in 2018. Kathy used a student’s school grade as a rough guide to the music theory levels. (1st grade= level 1 and so on) Adults and more advanced students can move through the music theory at a much quicker pace.
The music theory course follows the TMTA State Music Theory Syllabus, which I’m sure is pretty standard to most other state theory syllabi. It also pairs well with “Theory Time” by Heather Hearn Rathnau and “Just the Facts” by Regina Rober and Ann Lawry.
Each course contains a minimum of 5 videos. Each video lesson includes a 1-5 downloadable PDF file that students can print and complete during lab time or at home. Each level is available to as a studio license or individual student license. In addition, there is an option to purchase a bundle of all the levels for a studio license.
The bundle is going to be your best deal, giving you access to all the levels! Can you say SWEEEEET?!!
(Click pictures below for payment information)
If you aren’t interested in the studio license bundle, you can purchase each level separately. Keep in mind the licenses listed below are individual (per student) licenses. Let’s dive into what each level covers…
If you would rather instruct your students to purchase a level individually so they have it at home (no expense to the teacher), the links to individual (yearly) licenses are as follows:
- Level 1 Individual License
- Level 2 Individual License
- Level 3 Individual License
- Level 4 Individual License
- Level 5 Individual License
- Level 6 Individual License
- Level 7 Individual License
Still not convinced? Here is an inside look at Kathy sharing a demo.
Studio license or an individual license, which one is for me?
If you plan on using this program in your studio (lab time, before, after or during lessons), then the studio license is a great option for you! If you are planning on having students use the course at home, an individual license will be your best option. Think of it like purchasing a theory book (but it’s SO much more!) for each student.
If you have never experienced the flipped learning style, this is the perfect time to give it a try. I’m a huge fan of flipped learning and can’t wait to use these video lessons with my students!
Anita Byers, a piano teacher from Missouri, recently commented on one of my Facebook posts that she has been using the Music Theory Courses with her students for a couple months now. I asked her what she thought of them and this is what she shared,
“I added a 30-minute lab to my studio this past August. In planning how I wanted to set it up, I decided on 15 minutes at the keyboard with Piano Maestro, Simply Piano –or practicing their lesson and 15 minutes working on music theory with apps, videos or worksheets. When reading an article by Leila Viss on “Flipped Classroom Resources”, she mentioned an online music theory course by Dr. Kathy Rabago. After checking out the pianoprogram.com website I decided to take a look at a couple of levels. I liked them so much I had to get all of the available levels!
I assign a lesson every other week. My students watch the video and complete the worksheets during the 15-minute theory lab time. The following week I go over any missed items on their worksheets. I really like how the series teaches small segments of theory concepts. Each course builds on what was taught during the previous course. I have found that this is the perfect assignment for the 15-minute theory lab. I am using this with 2nd grade through 9th grade students right now.
It has only been 2 months since I began this program with my students, but I can already see the benefits. They are working very independently of the course and can re-play parts that they need to watch again as they complete the worksheets. I’m a planner, so having a set plan for their theory assignment has made my transition to offering a piano lab much easier!”
You can find out more about Dr. Kathy Rabago here.
Since this review, Kathy has made the following updates…
- Added the entire syllabus/curriculum for all of the levels completed. (Great for reference)
- Added a checklist for each level to keep track what students completed what.
- One packet for all the worksheets in each level. Print all the worksheets at once and you are done. (I am personally planning on binding my students’ workbooks) (Level 1 packet is done with the other levels coming)
- Tests are available at the end of each level.
- Worksheets modified to exactly match the video lessons.
- Added level 7
Have more questions about the course? Here are some popular FAQ’s from Kathy, that might help…
|1. Is it easy enough for a child to use? Absolutely! I designed the lessons with children in mind. Each lesson includes a video and a link to the worksheets.
2. Can I use the course on a tablet, phone, or computer? All of the above! You just have to have an internet connection to view the videos.
3. Can I use this course as just an individual student? Yes, of course. The individual pricing is $15 per level.
|4. Will the course keep me logged in and can I bookmark it? You can absolutely bookmark it for your students or your children for easy access. You will stay logged in. If you accidentally log it, you can just log in again with your email and password.
5. I’m a piano teacher. Can I use the course for my entire studio? If you are using the course at your studio during lab time, you may absolutely use it for all your students with the studio license! ($37) If you are wanting your students to watch at home, I ask that each student purchase their own individual license to access to the course.
*affiliate links included in this post